Pages Navigation Menu

The University and College Union at The University of St Andrews

Need help?

Problems in the workplace?

Members may encounter problems in the workplace. Examples include:

  • Stress and Health Issues
  • Bullying and/or harassment
  • Equality Issues
  • Promotion Appeals
  • Disciplinary Hearings
  • Contract problems

St Andrews UCU has a team of personal case workers who are trained to deal sensitively and discreetly with all aspects of workplace problems. They are available to offer advice, support and assistance to members. Further support is available from the UCU regional office in Edinburgh if needed with legal back-up also provided if required (subject to being a UCU member for a qualifying period before a problem arises).

What our members say

“I have found UCU support absolutely invaluable. Not only are UCU colleagues supportive in a practical sense, but their very presence helps break that sense of isolation and powerlessness which one can experience when workplace relations break down.  Both these elements – practical and emotional – are vital, and the St Andrews UCU branch does a great job at both.”

“Thank you so much for all the work you have put in on my behalf, it’s made a real difference knowing that I had UCU behind me and that there were options available to me if things didn’t work out for me.  It’s been a difficult period for me professionally and personally but having the union behind me really helped.”

The UCU website is a useful starting point for anyone who has a work-related problem – it contains basic advice and links to sites offering useful financial advice about pensions, taxes and benefits.

Another excellent source of information is Recourse. This service is available to ALL university staff and their families, not just union members. They offer telephone counselling, online coaching and have a wide variety of helpful information leaflets available to download.

The University publishes its policies and procedures and this is also a good source of information and a good starting point if you feel that you are being treated unfairly in any way.

If you would prefer to speak to someone in confidence about a work related problem please contact the branch office ( and we will put you in touch with a personal case worker.

%d bloggers like this: